Northern California had its first set of rain showers. Hurrah!
But not so much in regards to the fact that these rainy seasons bring the colds as well. I had a terrible cold this past week, jam packed with a sore throat, sinus irritations, headaches, muscle soreness, you name it.
When it comes to being sick, it’s usually an indicator of changing weather and also my tiredness levels — I usually get sick when I’m too busy, and my body breaks down due to lack of sleep. Which is entirely my fault, and I know I need to teach myself to sleep more, just like a bear hibernates. Maybe I am a bear. (:
My usual sick routine isn’t too special, but I thought I’d share a few simple, natural remedies I do to help myself feel better — I hardly eat medicine, not a huge fan. Feel free to also share your simple, natural ways to cure a common cold — I made a quick video of my sick day below, so hope you enjoy!
– Hot showers — A nice steamy hot shower provides humidity and steam to open up the pores and the sinuses in the body. Quite a relief if your muscles are sore as well.
– Hot towels to the face — What a lifesaver. I soak a towel in hot water, wring it out, and put it straight to my face, massage my nose, and get all the gunk out. It’s a great way to blow your nose and clear it out without making it all dry from tissues.
– Salt water gargle — Add a little salt and warm water and gargle away to get rid of bacteria in a sore throat!
– Wearing glasses — It’s no good straining your eyes. Let them rest when you’re sick (:
– Wearing a scarf and socks — The feet and the throat are some of the most sensitive parts of my body when I’m sick. It helps when I bundle up to keep my sore throat warm and toes from shivering.
– Honey and tea — Local honey does good to the throat! I like to add a dollop to some warm lemon water or tea to allow the honey to coat a dry, sore throat. It works wonders, and tastes so good.
– Sleep — Just do it. If only I had slept enough earlier, I wouldn’t have gotten sick so quickly!
Being sick is a sure sign that I’ll need to dial down the blog/YouTube, potentially moving onto bi-weekly videos and posts to ensure that quality stays up and that I can stay healthy amidst a few life transitions. Thank you nonetheless for staying tuned for all my posts, and to the YouTube crowd out there, we hit 1K subscribers! I owe you guys a giveaway, and can’t thank you enough for all your support.
Stay warm and healthy folks, especially as autumn is among us. Talk to you soon (: